Greeting

Welcome to Dan's Daily Dig, a personal journey to dig into the Bible one chapter a day and grow spiritually. The goal is to read and reflect on each chapter using the following four questions:

1. What stood out to me from this chapter?
2. How does this relate to any other Scripture I know?
3. What does this mean for my life?
4. What questions do I have about this passage?

This blog is intended to provide both accountability for me to keep pressing on in this quest, and an invitation for any reader to join me any day or everyday. Simply read the selected chapter (it only takes about 5 minutes), and then respond using any or all of the four questions. It's supposed to be simple, but I hope to learn from others as well. I plan to share the blog as well on my twitter feed daily, so follow @DanBoji if you want to get the alert to the blog's posting. You can also subscribe by e-mail or another RSS feed on the right side of the screen. God's blessings.

In Christ,
Dan

Friday, May 8, 2015

#1Corinthians10-11 - Freedom for Glory

Click here to read 1 Corinthians 10-11:

1. What stood out to me from this chapter?

After the last chapters, where Paul was explaining that we are not bound by some old covenant laws anymore, he uses these chapters to explain what that freedom looks like. He starts out reminding us of Israel's past and urges us to learn from them: "Don't grumble like they did in the desert...it didn't turn out so well..." :) He urges us to be cautious of eating food sacrificed to idols, simply because it could be a stumbling block to others. He speaks to appropriate conduct in worship and to appropriate teachings about the Lord's supper. But the most interesting lesson for me from this chapter was when Paul acknowledges the freedoms we have, but says that not everything is beneficial. It's like the freedoms we enjoy in the U.S. I have the freedom of speech, but not everything I am permitted to say is beneficial. It might hurt someone else. It might be taken the wrong way. It might send mixed messages to others. So I choose not to say a lot. :) The freedoms we enjoy, rather, are to be used for the glory of God (1 Cor. 10:31).

2. How does this relate to any other Scripture I know?

I thought it was interesting that Paul is the one instructing the Corinthians about Communion, especially what Jesus said on the night he was betrayed. Paul wasn't there, he must have learned from someone. He did spend time with Peter and the other apostles, so it could have been any one of those encounters where he learned it. Luke's gospel records some very similar words during the account of the Last Supper in Luke 22:17-29. It's neat that these words are still the same words many churches use when celebrating communion together.

3. What does this mean for my life?

1 Corinthians 10:13 really stood out to me. "No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it." Sometimes I feel defeated just because I'm experiencing strong temptation. The truth is that experiencing temptation doesn't mean I have to give in to it. I can say no. That's the power of Christ in me. God will always provide a way out. Sometimes, I'm sure it's simply to say no and move on. :)

4. What questions do I have about this passage?

I actually have quite a few, but I think my greatest confusion comes with the head-covering rules. Paul seems to be pretty clear, that men should not cover their head (or have long hair), but women should cover their heads (or have long hair). Does this apply in every church of all time, or was it something specific that this congregation was dealing with?

Those are my thoughts for this chapter. I'd love to hear yours. God's blessings to you and KEEP DIGGING IN!

In Christ,
Dan

image from http://www.webinfonews.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/America-Flag-6.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment