Greeting

Welcome to Dan's Daily Dig, a personal journey to dig into the Bible one chapter a day and grow spiritually. The goal is to read and reflect on each chapter using the following four questions:

1. What stood out to me from this chapter?
2. How does this relate to any other Scripture I know?
3. What does this mean for my life?
4. What questions do I have about this passage?

This blog is intended to provide both accountability for me to keep pressing on in this quest, and an invitation for any reader to join me any day or everyday. Simply read the selected chapter (it only takes about 5 minutes), and then respond using any or all of the four questions. It's supposed to be simple, but I hope to learn from others as well. I plan to share the blog as well on my twitter feed daily, so follow @DanBoji if you want to get the alert to the blog's posting. You can also subscribe by e-mail or another RSS feed on the right side of the screen. God's blessings.

In Christ,
Dan

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

#1Corinthians16 - It's Personal

Click here to read 1 Corinthians 16:


1. What stood out to me from this chapter?

Although many might skim or skip over this chapter, there is one thing that stood out to me above all else. MINISTRY IS PERSONAL! It's very easy to get caught up in starting more programs, focusing at numbers of participants, talking big theological talk, or thinking about buildings and facilities. But ministry means nothing if it's not personal and relational. After all, the core message about Christianity is about restoring our relationship with our heavenly father through forgiveness of sins. The second greatest commandment is to love our neighbor. There are no commandments about how many programs we're supposed to have, or what mix of new and old songs to play in worship. Paul's series of personal greetings and acknowledgements reminds me that we need to be first and foremost about relationships - with God and others. When the gospel and other teachings of the Bible are encompassed by a loving, caring relationship, it "goes down easier".

2. How does this relate to any other Scripture I know?

Actually, many of Paul's letters end this way, with personal greetings (Romans 16, Colossians 4, etc.). When Paul visited a city either to start churches or strengthen churches, he spent considerable time there. He got to know people and love people. So in these letters he acknowledges them and mentions many of them with fondness. Even though there may not me a whole lot to meditate on or discuss from these sections, it is a great reminder that people matter to God.

3. What does this mean for my life?

In the middle of these personal greetings, Paul gives a verse of encouragement and exhortation. Verse 13-14 says, "Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be courageous; be strong. Do everything in love." This verse encouraged me today, and reminded me to keep pressing on. Don't give up. Don't give in to pressures and temptations of the world. And above all, do everything in love.

4. What questions do I have about this passage?

Some of the people mentioned in this chapter don't appear in other places in Scripture (to my knowledge). I just wonder what role did they have in the ministry of Paul or the ongoing ministry of the churches?

Those are my thoughts for this chapter. I'd love to hear yours. God's blessings to you and KEEP DIGGING IN!

In Christ,
Dan

image from http://southlandchristian.org/assets/images/series-its-personal-banner.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment