Greeting

Welcome to Dan's Daily Dig, a personal journey to dig into the Bible one chapter a day and grow spiritually. The goal is to read and reflect on each chapter using the following four questions:

1. What stood out to me from this chapter?
2. How does this relate to any other Scripture I know?
3. What does this mean for my life?
4. What questions do I have about this passage?

This blog is intended to provide both accountability for me to keep pressing on in this quest, and an invitation for any reader to join me any day or everyday. Simply read the selected chapter (it only takes about 5 minutes), and then respond using any or all of the four questions. It's supposed to be simple, but I hope to learn from others as well. I plan to share the blog as well on my twitter feed daily, so follow @DanBoji if you want to get the alert to the blog's posting. You can also subscribe by e-mail or another RSS feed on the right side of the screen. God's blessings.

In Christ,
Dan

Thursday, May 14, 2015

#2Corinthians1 - Better than a Snuggie?

Click here to read 2 Corinthians 1:

1. What stood out to me from this chapter?

I know what you're thinking? What could possibly be better than a Snuggie? What could be softer, more cozy, and more comforting than a Snuggie? Well, Paul would argue that God is the ultimate comforter, because he is a loving Father who is full of compassion. If you are struggling with something, you can go to God. There's a worship song that says, "Come to me I am the comforter. Come crawl up on my knee. Lay your head close against my heart. Find your rest in me." I think that is the image of God I get from reading this passage.

2. How does this relate to any other Scripture I know?

Though the meaning of verses 18-20 is still a little unclear to me, it reminds me of Jesus when he gave the sermon on the mount. While telling us we really have no need to swear oaths, Matthew 5:37 says, "All you need to say is simply ‘Yes’ or ‘No’; anything beyond this comes from the evil one." A previous version of the same translation said, "Let your 'yes' mean 'yes' and your 'no' mean 'no'." If you say you will do something, do it.

3. What does this mean for my life?

Even though the passage starts out talking about comfort, there is an implication that there will be troubles in this life. That was a good reminder for me that God never promises that everything will be perfect for us in this life. In fact, Jesus even said, "In this world you will have trouble; but take heart. I have overcome the world." So as I do walk through these troubles, I need to remember that God loves me and promises to stick with me through it all. That is comforting.

4. What questions do I have about this passage?

What is Paul talking about exactly in verses 18-20? It almost seems like he went off on a bit of a tangent.

Those are my thoughts for this chapter. I'd love to hear yours. God's blessings to you and KEEP DIGGING IN!

In Christ,
Dan

image from http://www.peimag.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Snuggie.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment