Greeting

Welcome to Dan's Daily Dig, a personal journey to dig into the Bible one chapter a day and grow spiritually. The goal is to read and reflect on each chapter using the following four questions:

1. What stood out to me from this chapter?
2. How does this relate to any other Scripture I know?
3. What does this mean for my life?
4. What questions do I have about this passage?

This blog is intended to provide both accountability for me to keep pressing on in this quest, and an invitation for any reader to join me any day or everyday. Simply read the selected chapter (it only takes about 5 minutes), and then respond using any or all of the four questions. It's supposed to be simple, but I hope to learn from others as well. I plan to share the blog as well on my twitter feed daily, so follow @DanBoji if you want to get the alert to the blog's posting. You can also subscribe by e-mail or another RSS feed on the right side of the screen. God's blessings.

In Christ,
Dan

Sunday, May 10, 2015

#1Corinthians13 - The Wedding Passage That Isn't

Click here to read 1 Corinthians 13:

1. What stood out to me from this chapter?

This is one of the most commonly read passages of the Bible at weddings, because it's all about love and service and sacrifice. Now while all of this is actually really good advice for loving your spouse, the context of the passage actually has nothing to do with weddings. It is sandwiched in between two chapters describing the church as the body of Christ and the gifts that are given to God's people. Paul must have felt that there would be a temptation to focus so much on spiritual gifts, especially the supernatural ones, that the church would forget the main thing. Paul is reminding the believers that our primary focus is to show love to one another, both within the church as a family and outside the church. The Greek word that is translated to love in this passage is "agape" which describes the unconditional love and benevolence of God, who served and sacrificed for us when we didn't deserve it. We are called to show that love to others, even when they don't deserve it.

2. How does this relate to any other Scripture I know?

I thought immediately of the time in Matthew 22:34-40 the Jewish leaders tried to trap Jesus by asking him what the greatest commandment was. They figured if he picked one of the ten, they could then nail him about why the others weren't important. Instead he gave this answer: "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'" The Pharisees could not dispute this, but it sounds like 1 Corinthians 13. Paul is trying to keep the main thing the main thing - Love God and Love others.

3. What does this mean for my life?

There are some things in this chapter that are hard for me to do. Oh I can be patient, but "love always trusts." That seems like a good way to get let down quite a bit. "Love always hopes." That seems like a good way to be disappointed often. I need to try and bring out the best in people always, and paint them in the best possible light in an honest way. That's part of showing love. I guess part of loving is being willing to be hurt sometimes. God is hurt almost every day by every person, even those who love him...

4. What questions do I have about this passage?

I actually don't think I do have any questions about this passage.

Those are my thoughts for this chapter. I'd love to hear yours. God's blessings to you and KEEP DIGGING IN!

In Christ,
Dan

image from http://www.oncewed.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/bride-groom-wedding-field-photo.jpeg

No comments:

Post a Comment