Greeting

Welcome to Dan's Daily Dig, a personal journey to dig into the Bible one chapter a day and grow spiritually. The goal is to read and reflect on each chapter using the following four questions:

1. What stood out to me from this chapter?
2. How does this relate to any other Scripture I know?
3. What does this mean for my life?
4. What questions do I have about this passage?

This blog is intended to provide both accountability for me to keep pressing on in this quest, and an invitation for any reader to join me any day or everyday. Simply read the selected chapter (it only takes about 5 minutes), and then respond using any or all of the four questions. It's supposed to be simple, but I hope to learn from others as well. I plan to share the blog as well on my twitter feed daily, so follow @DanBoji if you want to get the alert to the blog's posting. You can also subscribe by e-mail or another RSS feed on the right side of the screen. God's blessings.

In Christ,
Dan

Saturday, May 9, 2015

#1Corinthians12 - Paul vs. Picasso

Click here to read 1 Corinthians 12:

1. What stood out to me from this chapter?

I love this passage about the body of Christ. Paul brilliantly uses the example of a human body to describe how every member of the church is important. Even though some are in positions of more public recognition (like the hands or eyes or mouth), and others virtually go unnoticed until there's a problem (like the liver or kidneys or alveoli), every part of the body is important. God has created each of us differently on purpose. So rather than wishing you were a different part of the body or attached in a different way (like some bizarre Picasso painting), recognize that God made you exactly the way you are, and wants to use your gifts and personality for his kingdom purposes.

2. How does this relate to any other Scripture I know?

While part of Paul's message here is about individuality and differences within the body, the main point is that though we are different, WE ARE ALL UNITED AS ONE BODY. This is true for each congregation, each denomination, and the whole Christian church worldwide. It's easy to forget that we are one. In John 17, Jesus prays that we as believers would all see ourselves as one. Despite our differences in practices, stylistic preferences, even biblical interpretation, we should all be one in Christ.

3. What does this mean for my life?

One of my biggest takeaways from this chapter is that I can stop trying to be all things to all people, in terms of excelling in everything. I will try my best at whatever I do, but sometimes it is far better to acknowledge a weakness and bring people into your life who can fill that need. As a leader in a ministry organization, that is huge for me to realize.

4. What questions do I have about this passage?

What are the greater gifts mentioned by Paul at the end of this chapter? Why does Paul encourage believers to desire the greater gifts after seemingly telling them to be content with who God made you to be?

Those are my thoughts for this chapter. I'd love to hear yours. God's blessings to you and KEEP DIGGING IN!

In Christ,
Dan

image from http://static.businessinsider.com/image/4e01ec2349e2aec9361d0000-400/image.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment