Greeting

Welcome to Dan's Daily Dig, a personal journey to dig into the Bible one chapter a day and grow spiritually. The goal is to read and reflect on each chapter using the following four questions:

1. What stood out to me from this chapter?
2. How does this relate to any other Scripture I know?
3. What does this mean for my life?
4. What questions do I have about this passage?

This blog is intended to provide both accountability for me to keep pressing on in this quest, and an invitation for any reader to join me any day or everyday. Simply read the selected chapter (it only takes about 5 minutes), and then respond using any or all of the four questions. It's supposed to be simple, but I hope to learn from others as well. I plan to share the blog as well on my twitter feed daily, so follow @DanBoji if you want to get the alert to the blog's posting. You can also subscribe by e-mail or another RSS feed on the right side of the screen. God's blessings.

In Christ,
Dan

Friday, December 19, 2014

#Philippians3 - Paul says "Poop" in the Bible

Philippians 3:

1. What stood out to me from this chapter?

It's true, if you look closely enough. In verse 8 Paul says, "I consider them garbage" (other translations read rubbish, filth, refuse). I did a little research and the Greek work here is skybalon, which means...you guessed it...poop. Blue Letter Bible defines it this way, "Any refuse, as the excrement of animals, offscourings, rubbish, dregs - OR - of things worthless and detestable." Now, it's not just the fact that Paul says "poop" in the Bible that was interesting to me. It's that he is using in a comparison. You see, after listing all of his credentials, all of his bragging rights, all of his trophies and awards and accomplishments as they relate to obedience in the law, Paul says that these things are like poop compared to "the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord." To Paul there was nothing greater, or even close, to knowing that our identity could be found in Christ and that we could be made righteous through faith in him. Pretty cool.

2. How does this passage relate to any other Scripture I know?

In verses 12-14, Paul uses the example of a race to describe the Christian life. He says that we should press on, and strain towards what is ahead, toward the goal to win the prize. (Note that this language does not imply that we have to earn our salvation as a competition, but that living the Christian life requires perseverance and focus.) Another great passage that uses this race analogy comes from the book of Hebrews, chapter 12, verses 1-3. It says, "...let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus...so that you will not grow weary and lose heart." A lot of the same language.

3. So what does this mean for my life?

It is interesting to me that Paul shares the fullness of knowing Christ includes becoming like him in his death and participation in his sufferings. Jesus served others, and he did so even at the cost of his life. If I want to become like Christ, it is going to mean serving and sacrificing for others even at my own cost. Maybe I won't be called to physically die for someone, but it almost certainly will cost me the life that I might desire from a worldly perspective.

4. What questions do I have about this passage?

When Paul says in verse 19, "We eagerly await a Savior from there [heavan]..." when was he expecting Jesus to return? I would love to travel in time and find out from the apostles when they expected Jesus to come back in glory. They almost all write as if it could be any day, and now it's been 2000 years. But I know that God is not slow as we understand it, and his ways are higher than mine. So without understanding, I'll just trust and be ready.

Tomorrow, we'll wrap up the book of Philippians with chapter 4. After that we'll do Colossians and be done with that on the 24th. Feel free to leave any comments you might have.

In Christ,
Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment