Greeting

Welcome to Dan's Daily Dig, a personal journey to dig into the Bible one chapter a day and grow spiritually. The goal is to read and reflect on each chapter using the following four questions:

1. What stood out to me from this chapter?
2. How does this relate to any other Scripture I know?
3. What does this mean for my life?
4. What questions do I have about this passage?

This blog is intended to provide both accountability for me to keep pressing on in this quest, and an invitation for any reader to join me any day or everyday. Simply read the selected chapter (it only takes about 5 minutes), and then respond using any or all of the four questions. It's supposed to be simple, but I hope to learn from others as well. I plan to share the blog as well on my twitter feed daily, so follow @DanBoji if you want to get the alert to the blog's posting. You can also subscribe by e-mail or another RSS feed on the right side of the screen. God's blessings.

In Christ,
Dan

Thursday, December 18, 2014

#Philippians2 - Shining Like Stars

Philippians 2:

1. What stood out to you from this chapter?

The whole first section, verses 1-11 are a great lesson in humility. I think what is even more interesting than just the description of humility Paul presents, is that he uses Jesus as the example. While Jesus was alive on earth (and even after he ascended), Paul was rejecting him and persecuting his followers. Now he not only believes in Jesus, but he is holding him up as the ultimate example of humility. If I had to paraphrase some of this text it would be something like this. "Jesus was God himself, but he always submitted to the Father's will. He served others rather than expecting others to serve him. He gave his entire life to service. Because of this, God raised him up to life and to the highest position and authority above heaven and earth. In one way or another, every person in heaven and earth will bow down before him."

2. How does this passage relate to any other Scripture I know?

Verses 12-18 talk about how when we live humbly in this way, and do not complain or argue about our circumstances, we are going to stand out. That is not how the world lives. It uses the language of shining like stars in the universe? Have you ever been outside late at night when there are no clouds and every hint of sunlight is gone? Especially when there is no moon, the stars are beautiful like Christmas lights standing out in the night. This passage reminds me of two others that talk about how Christians who live lives for Christ will stand out in the world. One is from Matthew 5:14-16 in which Jesus publicly tells the disciples, "You are the light of the world...let your light shine before all men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your father in heaven." The other is from John 13:35 when Jesus is talking privately with the disciples and says, "By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you show love to one another."

3. So what does this mean for my life?

I am just going to take the whole section entitled "Do Everything Without Grumbling" as a personal challenge for the day. It's easy to complain about circumstances. It's easy to complain about workload. It's easy to complain about the weather. IT'S JUST PLAIN EASY TO COMPLAIN. The challenge to be like Christ is to do things without complaining. That's going to be my goal today. If it goes well today (or not) it will be my goal to do it again tomorrow, and the tomorrow after that. :) I can think of a few people I know well who I have almost never heard complain, and it really does stand out in a good way.

4. What questions do I have about this passage?

I was just curious about Timothy and Epaphroditus, who were apparently traveling companions of Paul. When did they join him, and when did Ephaphroditus almost die? What were the circumstances. Was it on the shipwreck, or a totally different experience?

Those are my thoughts for today. Tomorrow will be Philippians 3, which contains my #1 very favorite Bible passage. So I'm pretty excited. God bless.

In Christ,
Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment