Greeting

Welcome to Dan's Daily Dig, a personal journey to dig into the Bible one chapter a day and grow spiritually. The goal is to read and reflect on each chapter using the following four questions:

1. What stood out to me from this chapter?
2. How does this relate to any other Scripture I know?
3. What does this mean for my life?
4. What questions do I have about this passage?

This blog is intended to provide both accountability for me to keep pressing on in this quest, and an invitation for any reader to join me any day or everyday. Simply read the selected chapter (it only takes about 5 minutes), and then respond using any or all of the four questions. It's supposed to be simple, but I hope to learn from others as well. I plan to share the blog as well on my twitter feed daily, so follow @DanBoji if you want to get the alert to the blog's posting. You can also subscribe by e-mail or another RSS feed on the right side of the screen. God's blessings.

In Christ,
Dan

Sunday, December 21, 2014

#Philippians4 - For Servants, Not Athletes

1. What stood out to me from this chapter?

Almost every verse or small group of verses in this chapter could be on a plaque or wall hanging. Probably the most well known of these verses is Philippians 4:13, which says, "I can do all this through him who gives me strength." The older translations say,"I can do ALL things through him…" This is a great verse, but I have heard it used mostly in the context of personal accomplishment. People have a difficult test, a big game, or a heavy workload, and out comes this motivational quote from the Bible to give us strength. Although that's nice, that is not what this verse is about. Paul talks about his work for the Lord, and how he can endure all things for the sake of Christ. This verse is not a message for us all to do well and be productive. This message is about living out our faith everyday and being content in any circumstance. As we love and serve others, we can trust and obey God for our needs, and we CAN get through anything. 

2. How does this passage relate to any other Scripture I know?

Rejoice is a pretty big topic in this chapter, and really the whole Bible. Paul introduced it again in 1 Thessalonians 5:16, "rejoice always!" Mary rejoiced when the angel came. This is a good reminder for me. It's always a good time to praise the Lord!

3: What does this mean for my life?

I think I would do well to follow Paul's advice about making my thoughts focused on good things from verses 8-9. It's a good filter for me and my thoughts. 

4. Do I have any questions about this passage?

Normally I don't let myself settle for a "No" answer, but I don't really have questions about this one. 

God bless. 

In Christ,
Dan


No comments:

Post a Comment