Greeting

Welcome to Dan's Daily Dig, a personal journey to dig into the Bible one chapter a day and grow spiritually. The goal is to read and reflect on each chapter using the following four questions:

1. What stood out to me from this chapter?
2. How does this relate to any other Scripture I know?
3. What does this mean for my life?
4. What questions do I have about this passage?

This blog is intended to provide both accountability for me to keep pressing on in this quest, and an invitation for any reader to join me any day or everyday. Simply read the selected chapter (it only takes about 5 minutes), and then respond using any or all of the four questions. It's supposed to be simple, but I hope to learn from others as well. I plan to share the blog as well on my twitter feed daily, so follow @DanBoji if you want to get the alert to the blog's posting. You can also subscribe by e-mail or another RSS feed on the right side of the screen. God's blessings.

In Christ,
Dan

Thursday, December 11, 2014

#Ephesians 1 - Deja Vu All Over Again

Ephesians 1:

1. What stood out to me from this chapter?

This famous quote by the great baseball player Yogi Berra seems like the appropriate title for this blog. Have you ever been to two church services in the same weekend, and heard the pastor preach the same sermon twice? Or have you ever worked at a camp where someone has given the same message or share to a different group or audience? Have you ever re-read a book because a new group you're in wants to do a book study that you've already done, or you just want to remember it better before the movie comes out? That's how I felt when I started reading Ephesians. I know I've read it all the way through, but that was awhile ago. I'm talking about having just finished Galatians, I feel like I'm hearing some very similar thoughts. But they are worded a little differently, have a slightly different tone, and shed a little new insight into the same concepts (if I'm willing to pay attention and listen.) One of the main ideas that was repeated from Galatians is the idea of adoption into God's family and becoming heirs of the kingdom. Also, a very clear message from the beginning of Ephesians is that this promise of eternal life is by faith in Christ: "the first to put our hope in Christ" (v. 12), "When you believed you were marked..." (v.13), "your faith in the Lord Jesus" (v.15), "great power for us who believe" (v.19). This also is very reminiscent of Galatians...and Romans...and Acts...and the rest of Scripture. It's almost like it's a big deal. :)

2. How does this passage relate to any other Scripture I know?

Besides the connections I just made to the previous books we went through, I really was struck by Paul's personal commitment to praying and giving thanks. This reminded me of 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18. "Be joyful always, pray continually, and give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." Paul really practiced what he preached.

3. So what does this mean for my life?

In verses 17-18, Paul is praying a very heartfelt prayer that his "spiritual children" would grow up to know God more. I am first of all convicted to pray this same thing for my children continually. I am probably even more convicted to pray that for myself. As a teacher of the Bible, as a parent, as a ministry leader, it's really easy to just teach out of what you've learned and be content with that for a long time. But I really need to keep growing, keep seeking, keep opening my heart to what God has for me, and keep trusting in His power to sustain me.

4. What questions do I have about this passage?

Because this passage contains some of the strongest "predestination language" in the Bible, I want to ask the following question. I understand that someone who is adopted does not "choose" their adopted family without the family first initiating, but as I read Scripture it seems like EVERYONE has the opportunity to repent and turn to faith in Jesus Christ and receive eternal life. So here is my question: "What, if any, are the problems with the following statement? God chooses those who respond to the gospel by faith in Jesus." See also some similar questions from my blog on Romans 9.

That's Ephesians 1. We're gonna go through Ephesians, Philippians and Colossians by Christmas Eve! Join me for Paul's sermons through Christmas. :)

In Christ,
Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment