Greeting

Welcome to Dan's Daily Dig, a personal journey to dig into the Bible one chapter a day and grow spiritually. The goal is to read and reflect on each chapter using the following four questions:

1. What stood out to me from this chapter?
2. How does this relate to any other Scripture I know?
3. What does this mean for my life?
4. What questions do I have about this passage?

This blog is intended to provide both accountability for me to keep pressing on in this quest, and an invitation for any reader to join me any day or everyday. Simply read the selected chapter (it only takes about 5 minutes), and then respond using any or all of the four questions. It's supposed to be simple, but I hope to learn from others as well. I plan to share the blog as well on my twitter feed daily, so follow @DanBoji if you want to get the alert to the blog's posting. You can also subscribe by e-mail or another RSS feed on the right side of the screen. God's blessings.

In Christ,
Dan

Wednesday, December 24, 2014

#Colossians3 #Colossians4 - A Map Through A Minefield

Colossians 3-4:

1. What stood out to you from this chapter?

This chapter contains quite a few of the "do's" and "don'ts" we are to practice (or avoid) in living life as a Christian. Too often people treat Christianity like it is basically a guide for morality, a list of rules that we must follow. If we do enough of the "do's" and avoid enough of the "don'ts" we'll be qualified to go to heaven. This is not the picture of Christianity the Bible gives us. God says we are "qualified for heaven" not by what we do, but by faith in Jesus Christ who alone is uniquely qualified for heaven. So these kinds of lists aren't a road map to get to heaven, but rather a map through a minefield of life. If someone offered you a map to get through a live minefield, you wouldn't consider that oppressive or judgmental. You would be grateful. That's how I feel about Colossians 3 and 4. If we avoid the things that God tells us to avoid (anger, rage, slander, filthy language, etc.) and practice the things God tells us to do (patience, kindness, humility, forgiveness, etc.) we will be able to navigate life with joy and peace rather than destruction and brokenness. For this, I am truly thankful.

2. How does this passage relate to any other Scripture I know?

In Colossians 4:2-6, it talks about proclaiming the gospel often and clearly. In this short section, Paul says that our conversation should be full of grace and seasoned with salt, so that we may know how to answer everyone. This reminded me of Jesus when he said, "You are the salt of the earth," in Matthew 5:13. I didn't really think about what that means exactly, until I read this passage in Colossians. When I think of something that is seasoned with salt, I think of something that is plain that becomes delicious. When we share the gospel, we should make it also interesting and enticing, BECAUSE IT IS!

3. So what does this mean for my life?

Verses 1-4 of chapter 3 gave me a new challenge for my life. We are to set our mind on things above, not on earthly things. It is very hard to keep a heavenly perspective in some circumstances, but this is a good reminder that God is always in control (even when it really doesn't seem like it). I think of some people like Joseph who was betrayed by his brothers, beaten, sold into slavery, falsely imprisoned and mistreated. He still kept his mind set on things above. This was clear when his brothers came to him and he received them back. He said, "You intended this for evil, but God meant it for good." It's easier to say that looking back on circumstances, but I want to try and keep this in mind in the middle of them.

4. What questions do I have about this passage?

At the end of chapter 4 there are some personal greetings. In verse 16, Paul says that this letter should also be read in Laodicea and that he had also written a letter to the church in Laodicea. I wonder what the letter to the Laodiceans was. Is there a copy of that anywhere? Why didn't that one get in the Bible?

That's it for today. I'm taking a break for Christmas. Have a merry Christmas.

In Christ,
Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment