Greeting

Welcome to Dan's Daily Dig, a personal journey to dig into the Bible one chapter a day and grow spiritually. The goal is to read and reflect on each chapter using the following four questions:

1. What stood out to me from this chapter?
2. How does this relate to any other Scripture I know?
3. What does this mean for my life?
4. What questions do I have about this passage?

This blog is intended to provide both accountability for me to keep pressing on in this quest, and an invitation for any reader to join me any day or everyday. Simply read the selected chapter (it only takes about 5 minutes), and then respond using any or all of the four questions. It's supposed to be simple, but I hope to learn from others as well. I plan to share the blog as well on my twitter feed daily, so follow @DanBoji if you want to get the alert to the blog's posting. You can also subscribe by e-mail or another RSS feed on the right side of the screen. God's blessings.

In Christ,
Dan

Sunday, December 14, 2014

#Ephesians4 - Unity and Maturity is the Goal

Ephesians 4: 

1. What stood out to me from this chapter?

In this chapter, there seems to be a progression of sorts that Paul is building up as it relates to our faith walk. We were called, we became a part of a family, we were given gifts to equip God's people, until we all reach unity and maturity. It seems that all of it builds up to unity and maturity. I think it's important to clarify that Paul links these two together. It would be easy to find unity if we all just gave up all of our convictions and interpretations of the Bible and our general sense of what's right and wrong. Then we wouldn't have to disagree about anything. But that's not what Paul is saying here. In verse 13 he describes the unity as being in faith AND in the knowledge of the Son of God. In verse 15 he describes that unity and maturity by saying that we will not be blown here and there by every wind of teaching and deceitful scheming. So Paul is linking unity and maturity to knowing Christ more and living it out in the world. It's also important to note that Paul uses the word "unity", not "uniformity." He just gets done telling us that we are all gifted differently, so he's not advocating that we all should look the same and think the same and worship in the same way. Unity means that despite our differences, we recognize that we are all part of the same body and we work to support each other and build each other up as we speak the truth in love to each other.

2. How does this passage relate to any other Scripture I know?

This language of being the body of Christ appears in 1 Corinthians 12 where Paul uses the analogy and expounds on it even further. It is one of my favorite analogies for understanding the Church, and Paul is even humorous in his use of the example in his explanation in that chapter. Also, verses 17-32 really mirror a passage in Colossians 3 which also talks about putting off the old self and clothing ourselves with the new. It lists several of the same behaviors to put behind us and many of the same attributes we need to let God develop in us. Even the title of that chapter in some translations is "Rules for Holy Living".

3. So what does this mean for my life?

One of the verses that struck me a number of years ago from this passage is Ephesians 4:29. "Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen." I always feel like I've had a filter for my language, especially in regards to avoiding profanity. But this verse challenges me to take that filter even further. I have used this verse to help me think before I speak and ask myself the question, "Is this going to build others up and speak into their needs? Or am I just speaking to gain attention for myself? Or is this at someone else's expense?" James 3 contains some strong words about taming our tongue, as well as numerous proverbs which echo the same thought. I think this should be one of the verses every Christian memorizes. I need to keep it at the forefront of my mind.

4. What questions do I have about this passage?

Verses 7-10 almost seem out of place in this chapter, except that it pertains to God giving us gifts by his grace. My question is, does verse 9 talk about Christ coming to earth, or going to hell (as we state in the apostles' creed)? It's kind of a weird question, but I'm just curious because it sort of sticks out like a watermelon on a grape vine.

That's it. I'd love to hear your thoughts. Feel free to leave your own comments below. God bless.

In Christ,
Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment