Greeting

Welcome to Dan's Daily Dig, a personal journey to dig into the Bible one chapter a day and grow spiritually. The goal is to read and reflect on each chapter using the following four questions:

1. What stood out to me from this chapter?
2. How does this relate to any other Scripture I know?
3. What does this mean for my life?
4. What questions do I have about this passage?

This blog is intended to provide both accountability for me to keep pressing on in this quest, and an invitation for any reader to join me any day or everyday. Simply read the selected chapter (it only takes about 5 minutes), and then respond using any or all of the four questions. It's supposed to be simple, but I hope to learn from others as well. I plan to share the blog as well on my twitter feed daily, so follow @DanBoji if you want to get the alert to the blog's posting. You can also subscribe by e-mail or another RSS feed on the right side of the screen. God's blessings.

In Christ,
Dan

Wednesday, October 15, 2014

EPIC Rescue - Exodus 14

I never like needing to be helped or rescued, but I'm always grateful when it happens. Today is day 4 of 5 reflecting on our Fall Recharge theme, "EPIC," and today's theme is EPIC Rescue. There many rescue stories of epic proportions in Scripture, but none so widely acclaimed as the Exodus from Egypt. Read chapter 14 of Exodus and join me in reflection and conversation.


1. What stood out to me from this chapter?

Although there are many really cool elements to the rescue story itself, the verse that stood out to me this time was verse 31. Israel saw God's redemptive power and they feared the LORD and believed in the LORD. God's desire was ultimately for his glory and to bring people to a greater level of belief in him. 

2. How does this relate to any other Scripture I know of?

Let's see, people were stuck in slavery, powerless to save themselves, so God sent his servant, who provided a way to be saved when there was no other way and destroyed the enemies along the way. I can't think of anything else that relates...oh wait...Jesus. He did the same and more to free us from slavery to sin and lead us into the promised life. 

3. What does this mean for me?

I was just reminded as I read this chapter that  when I come to a place in my life where I feel like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place, I can always trust that God will provide a way to get through it. I just need to trust him more. 

4. Do I have any questions?

Why did God harden Pharaoh's heart? Why not soften Pharaoh's heart toward repentance? 

2 comments:

  1. I always wonder the same thing about Pharoah. I used to ask my dad, "But how is it Pharoah's fault if God hardened his heart? How could he help it?" Then I remember about God's sovereignty, but it is still hard for me to grasp.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always remember that God is good. And in that story it repeats the theme of God getting the glory. I know that sometimes it says Pharaoh hardened his heart and sometimes it says that God hardened Pharaoh's heart. In Romans 1 it talks about how God "gave them over" to their lusts and evil desires. I guess what made the most sense to me is that those two were related.

      Delete