Greeting

Welcome to Dan's Daily Dig, a personal journey to dig into the Bible one chapter a day and grow spiritually. The goal is to read and reflect on each chapter using the following four questions:

1. What stood out to me from this chapter?
2. How does this relate to any other Scripture I know?
3. What does this mean for my life?
4. What questions do I have about this passage?

This blog is intended to provide both accountability for me to keep pressing on in this quest, and an invitation for any reader to join me any day or everyday. Simply read the selected chapter (it only takes about 5 minutes), and then respond using any or all of the four questions. It's supposed to be simple, but I hope to learn from others as well. I plan to share the blog as well on my twitter feed daily, so follow @DanBoji if you want to get the alert to the blog's posting. You can also subscribe by e-mail or another RSS feed on the right side of the screen. God's blessings.

In Christ,
Dan

Sunday, October 12, 2014

EPIC Reflections - Psalm 107

EPIC Reflections - Psalm 107

My intention for this blog is to read through books of the bible, one chapter at a time, but occasionally I will diverge and do a few side readings. The next five (and actually the first five) blog entries, including this one, will be some reflections on the main texts for our upcoming Fall Recharge youth retreat weekends at Ingham Okoboji Lutheran Bible Camps. Here's the first one. If you haven't read the chapter yet, feel free to click on the chapter reference to read it online.

PSALM 107

1. What stuck out to you reading this chapter?

Everyone has a story. This psalmist was trying hard to keep the stories of God's people alive. There are so many amazing stories in the Bible, but they are all connected. In fact, the whole Bible is one big EPIC narrative, telling of God's power, might, mercy, and love. It's amazing to think of how God has worked in countless ways to bring glory to himself, and blessing for his people. The verse that stuck out to me is Psalm 107:2, which is the main verse for our Fall Recharges. "Let the redeemed of the LORD tell their story!" What a powerful command.

2. How does this relate to other scripture I know?

The prophet Jeremiah stated this desire to tell about God's goodness in a really great way.But if I say, “I will not mention his word or speak anymore in his name,” his word is in my heart like a fire, a fire shut up in my bones. I am weary of holding it in; indeed, I cannot." (Jeremiah 20:9). I also think of Jesus's command to the disciples in Acts 1:8, "You will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you, and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, in Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth." What does a witness do? Tells the story of how God has worked in their life.

3. What does this mean for my life? 

This chapter really helps me to do two things. First, to see every story in the Bible as a part of a larger story. In fact, my own life story is a part of a larger story of God at work in the world. Second, this chapter encourages me to tell my story. God has redeemed my life, lifted me out of the slimy pit, rescued me from the dominion of darkness, and given me hope and the promise of eternal life through Jesus Christ. I want to tell that story.

4. Do I have any questions?

Well, verses 23-32 describe merchants going out on the seas and encountering storms. To what incident(s) was this was referring? I'm not familiar with any Bible stories (that would have happened prior to this Psalm being written) other than Noah's where God calmed the seas and rescued a ship. Maybe it's a story that was commonly known in the day, but just didn't make it into Scripture. That's my question.

I would love to hear your thoughts on this chapter. Respond below, share your thoughts on Twitter or Facebook. Also, because I'm new I would be very open to suggestions about this blog. Is is too long? Too boring? Does it need more or less of something? Does it leave enough room for people to respond? Feel free to share those thoughts and comments as well. God's richest blessings on your day.

In Christ,
Dan


No comments:

Post a Comment