Greeting

Welcome to Dan's Daily Dig, a personal journey to dig into the Bible one chapter a day and grow spiritually. The goal is to read and reflect on each chapter using the following four questions:

1. What stood out to me from this chapter?
2. How does this relate to any other Scripture I know?
3. What does this mean for my life?
4. What questions do I have about this passage?

This blog is intended to provide both accountability for me to keep pressing on in this quest, and an invitation for any reader to join me any day or everyday. Simply read the selected chapter (it only takes about 5 minutes), and then respond using any or all of the four questions. It's supposed to be simple, but I hope to learn from others as well. I plan to share the blog as well on my twitter feed daily, so follow @DanBoji if you want to get the alert to the blog's posting. You can also subscribe by e-mail or another RSS feed on the right side of the screen. God's blessings.

In Christ,
Dan

Thursday, October 16, 2014

EPIC Life - Daniel 3

Daniel is actually the first full book of the Bible I read when I was in High School. I picked it because it was my name. :) But I grew to love Daniel as one of my favorite Bible characters because of his EPIC, unwavering, uncompromising life he lived in obedience to God. EPIC Life is our last theme for the Fall Recharge season at Ingham Okoboji, and it really has to do with obedience, integrity, and living out the small things in life to point the spotlight to God. Daniel 3 is about Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, three contemporaries of Daniel who followed his example of uncompromising devotion to God.


1. What stuck out to you from this chapter?

Obviously God's miraculous rescue was pretty amazing, but I know (like they stated in verse 17) that God is able to do that. What really stood out to me was their 100% commitment to obey God despite their impending destruction. I love their statement, which paraphrased might sound something like this, "I know God COULD save us if he chooses; He is TOTALLY able to do that. But if he chooses not to, He is still good and worthy of our lives and our praise. So we will not bow down." That is how I want to live my life, even if it might cost me status, money, popularity, or whatever. 

2. How does this relate to any other Scripture I know?

Well, their story is very similar to Daniel's close encounter with the lions in chapter 6. But overall it reminds me of how Jesus described living an EPIC life in Matthew chapter 6 when he said, "Let your light shine before all men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your father in heaven." Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego were not out to make a name for themselves, they were out to keep God's name holy and revered above all. It led to a kingdom-wide (albeit temporary) revival of worshipping God. It also reminds me of Jesus's prayer in the Garden of Gethsemane, "Father if it's possible, please remove this cup (of suffering) from me. But not my will but yours be done." His life ended in death (and then later in eternal life and glory). 

3. What does this mean for my life?

It's very similar to my answer to #1, but I want to not compromise on the small things. This might included infringing on copyrights by burning music, not telling little "white lies" that cast a better picture on myself, making sure to use my time effectively at work, not promising things I can't deliver on, making sure I deliver on promises, not losing my temper at my kids, not gossiping about a coworker, etc. I want to make sure to be faithful in the little things in life.

4. What questions do I have about this passage?

Nebuchadnezzar was quick to switch his allegiance to God after seeing this miracle, but I wonder what made him switch back so quickly? Did he truly believe in God? Was he just a nominal, band-wagon follower while it was cool? It seems he has a similar disposition to Pharaoh in Egypt, that is believing after the wonders are shown, but hard-hearted and habitual in worship to self and other "gods". 

I'd love to hear anyone else's thoughts. Thanks for reading and keeping me accountable. Tomorrow I will begin reading in the book of Acts, starting with chapter 1 and going through the whole book in 28 days. Join me for a chapter or two, or the whole book! 

In Christ,
Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment