Greeting

Welcome to Dan's Daily Dig, a personal journey to dig into the Bible one chapter a day and grow spiritually. The goal is to read and reflect on each chapter using the following four questions:

1. What stood out to me from this chapter?
2. How does this relate to any other Scripture I know?
3. What does this mean for my life?
4. What questions do I have about this passage?

This blog is intended to provide both accountability for me to keep pressing on in this quest, and an invitation for any reader to join me any day or everyday. Simply read the selected chapter (it only takes about 5 minutes), and then respond using any or all of the four questions. It's supposed to be simple, but I hope to learn from others as well. I plan to share the blog as well on my twitter feed daily, so follow @DanBoji if you want to get the alert to the blog's posting. You can also subscribe by e-mail or another RSS feed on the right side of the screen. God's blessings.

In Christ,
Dan

Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Acts 12 - Miraculous Escape

Everybody loves a sensational story, a miracle that's almost too good to be true. And as soon as the story gets past the eyewitnesses to become second and third-hand hearing, people like me tend to be extra skeptical. I usually ask questions like, "Well how do you know?" If the answer is something like, "He said that she heard that he saw it," I'm pretty well checked out of the conversation. Acts 12 is one of those stories. But here's what convinces me that it is true. The author of the book of Acts is Luke. Luke was a physician, a Gentile believer, a record keeper. He investigated the facts by spending time with Paul, with Peter, and with the other apostles. In his stories, they don't sound like exaggerated "fish tales." They sound more like police reports. If you've already read the chapter, go back and read it again and look at all the details Luke includes about which night this happened, what the circumstances were, what the other people said, and all of the other unimportant details that only solidify the reality and truth of the whole story.

Acts 12

1. What stood out to me from this passage?

I know the story is mainly about Peter, but I was drawn to the character of Herod. Herod was presumably the same Herod that was ruler when Jesus was crucified (not the same Herod from the Christmas story). So at that point Herod was amused by Jesus, but at this point in the story Herod seems annoyed by Jesus' followers. Now this thing was shaping into a cultural and political force and that threatened his leadership. So he "tested the waters" so to speak by killing one of the disciples. When that was met with cheers by the Jewish religious leaders, he ramped up his game. It seemed all along like he was a coward, trying to maintain political leadership. I am even more disgusted with him than I was before, and I found myself happy when he was struck dead. Almost as immediately as I felt happy, I repented and found myself saddened that he never turned from his rebellious ways to embrace Jesus as Lord.

2. How does this relate to any other scripture you know?

I thought of two things, the first is Paul and Silas escaping from prison later in Acts 16. The second is actually the order to place 16 guards over Peter, a fisherman turned preacher who never committed a crime in his life. A little overkill right? It reminded me of the guard posted to Jesus' tomb. The leaders convinced Pilate in Matthew 27:62-65 to post a guard and seal the tomb "just in case." Peter's arrest seems to have that same flavor of "just in case something happens" (which it did).

3. What does this mean for my life?

This passage is more story than theology or doctrine. It's not so much about shaping my beliefs as helping to reveal how God works, namely, however He wants. Looking at Herod's death, though, was a great reminder to make my life about God's glory. It was Herod's failure to give glory to God that caused God to judge Him at that moment. Herod liked being thought of like a god, but God didn't. :) Are my words giving God glory? When I receive compliments and encouragement, do I humbly say thank you and give God glory, or do I soak it in and put myself on a pedestal? That was convicting for me.

4. What questions do I have about this passage?

Well, not much that really matters. I do wonder where Peter went after visiting the gathered disciples? I suppose I also have questions about how the prayers of the people made an impact on Peter's escape. Would God have rescued Peter if the people had not prayed? Were their prayers the difference maker? The fact that it was noted more than once that people were praying makes me think there's more of a connection than not.

This is a fun story, especially for us skeptics to just say, "PRAISE THE LORD!" I would love to hear your comments.

In Christ,
Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment