Greeting

Welcome to Dan's Daily Dig, a personal journey to dig into the Bible one chapter a day and grow spiritually. The goal is to read and reflect on each chapter using the following four questions:

1. What stood out to me from this chapter?
2. How does this relate to any other Scripture I know?
3. What does this mean for my life?
4. What questions do I have about this passage?

This blog is intended to provide both accountability for me to keep pressing on in this quest, and an invitation for any reader to join me any day or everyday. Simply read the selected chapter (it only takes about 5 minutes), and then respond using any or all of the four questions. It's supposed to be simple, but I hope to learn from others as well. I plan to share the blog as well on my twitter feed daily, so follow @DanBoji if you want to get the alert to the blog's posting. You can also subscribe by e-mail or another RSS feed on the right side of the screen. God's blessings.

In Christ,
Dan

Monday, October 13, 2014

EPIC Beginning - Genesis 1

EPIC Beginning - Genesis 1

So as I continue on to Day 2 (out of 5) with reflecting on our upcoming youth recharges at Ingham Okoboji, we decided to start where Maria from The Sound of Music advised is "a very good place to start" - at the very beginning. So our EPIC Beginning takes us all the way back to Genesis 1. It was fun to re-read a chapter of the Bible that is very familiar.

GENESIS 1

1. What stuck out to you reading this chapter?

As I was reading this chapter I was struck by hearing that everything God had made was "good". I'm sure you'll agree that sometimes it's hard to look around at the world today and think, "Wow this is good." It's hard because, of course, something happened and humanity walked away from the perfect goodness of God for our own desires. So our world today reflects that compounding investment in our selfishness and sin. But it was refreshing to be reminded that God's design was initially "very good." In fact, God's design for life is always very good. 

2. How does this relate to other scripture I know?

Genesis 1 isn't the only book of the Bible that starts out with the words, "In the beginning..." The gospel of John also begins that way. Here's what it says, "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was with God in the beginning. 3 Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. 4 In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind. 5 The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it." It goes on to say that the Word is Jesus, who was with God in the beginning. It's why we believe that Jesus was present in creation.

3. What does this mean for my life? 

My two daughters love the song "Speak Life" by TobyMac. When God created the world, it doesn't say that he used tools, or his hands, or hired out a contractor. :) He SPOKE life into deadness and darkness and chaos and brought everything into existence. Since we are created in God's image, I also believe that our words have the power to bring life into someone else. This chapter was a great reminder for me to use my words to bring encouragement into other's lives, rather than negativity - to build others up rather than tear them down. 

4. Do I have any questions?

I have hundreds of questions about God creating the world, most of which I'm sure I'll never have answered until I sit in the presence of God in heaven for all eternity. I hope he caught it on camera though because it sure would be fun to watch over and over again. It would sure make for some great Vine videos. :)

I would love to hear your thoughts on this chapter. Respond below, share your thoughts on Twitter or Facebook. Also, because I'm new I would be very open to suggestions about this blog. Is is too long? Too boring? Does it need more or less of something? Does it leave enough room for people to respond? Feel free to share those thoughts and comments as well. God's richest blessings on your day.

In Christ,
Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment