Greeting

Welcome to Dan's Daily Dig, a personal journey to dig into the Bible one chapter a day and grow spiritually. The goal is to read and reflect on each chapter using the following four questions:

1. What stood out to me from this chapter?
2. How does this relate to any other Scripture I know?
3. What does this mean for my life?
4. What questions do I have about this passage?

This blog is intended to provide both accountability for me to keep pressing on in this quest, and an invitation for any reader to join me any day or everyday. Simply read the selected chapter (it only takes about 5 minutes), and then respond using any or all of the four questions. It's supposed to be simple, but I hope to learn from others as well. I plan to share the blog as well on my twitter feed daily, so follow @DanBoji if you want to get the alert to the blog's posting. You can also subscribe by e-mail or another RSS feed on the right side of the screen. God's blessings.

In Christ,
Dan

Friday, October 24, 2014

Acts 8 - Scattered Seeds

As a kid, I loved to blow dandelions when they turned white and watch the fluffy white seedlings scatter in the wind. I also liked to kick them or hit them with sticks and watch the seeds scatter. At the time it was fun, and I even thought I was helping by getting rid of the seeds and destroying the dandelions. Little did I know that those scattered seeds from the one dandelion would produce 25 more dandelions nearby. I think Saul and the other religious leaders thought that maybe if they persecuted the apostles, scattered the believers, and destroyed the church, they would see the end of Christianity. On the contrary, wherever the apostles went, they taught with authority about Jesus, performed many miracles to help people, and baptized many more believers into the faith. That's the part of the story that starts here.

Acts 8

1. What stuck out to you from this chapter?

Simon the Sorcerer is an interesting character. We don't know much about him except that he practiced sorcery for some time in Samaria, and that he was pretty good at amazing people. But when Philip, Peter and John show up and do miracles, teach with authority, and share the Holy Spirit, the tables are turned and Simon finds himself in awe of "their" power. Figuring that he wants in on this racket he offers to pay for this service of receiving the Holy Spirit. Peter and John have a special insight into his heart it seems, but to me they come across as harsh. I figure Simon just didn't know any difference, and he really just didn't understand God's love for him. Nothing about any of his comments makes me think he had largely impure motives. I never paid much attention to Simon before today.

2. How does this passage relate to any other Scripture I know?

When Philip asks the Ethiopian if he knows what he is reading, and the Ethiopian asks, "How can I unless someone explains it to me?," it reminds me of the verses in Romans 10:14-15 which make the point of, "How can people call on someone they have not believed in, and how can they believe in someone unless they have heard of them? And how will they hear unless someone preaches, and how will they preach unless they are sent?"

3. What does this mean for my life?

I think the part that challenged me the most was realizing that this whole story of Philip and the Ethiopian started with Philip hearing the Spirit say, "Go to that chariot and stay near it." Philip was listening closely enough to God to hear Him speak through the Spirit. That was a challenge to me in my busy life. I do take time to read, I do spend time in prayer, but I rarely take time to listen. Maybe if I did that more I would hear God more, and stay in step with him more.

4. What questions do I have about this passage?

Well like I mentioned in number 1, I wonder what happened to Simon the Sorcerer after verse 24. He seemed repentant. How did God use him beyond that? Also, after Philip baptized the Ethiopian he was "suddenly" taken away by the Spirit and then returned to somewhere else to keep preaching. What was that like? Nobody ever mentions it again, nobody comments on it that is seems miraculous, and not even Philip shares it with anyone else as recorded. What's up with that?

Great stuff, feel free to leave comments on here. I love hearing other's thoughts.

In Christ,
Dan


No comments:

Post a Comment