Greeting

Welcome to Dan's Daily Dig, a personal journey to dig into the Bible one chapter a day and grow spiritually. The goal is to read and reflect on each chapter using the following four questions:

1. What stood out to me from this chapter?
2. How does this relate to any other Scripture I know?
3. What does this mean for my life?
4. What questions do I have about this passage?

This blog is intended to provide both accountability for me to keep pressing on in this quest, and an invitation for any reader to join me any day or everyday. Simply read the selected chapter (it only takes about 5 minutes), and then respond using any or all of the four questions. It's supposed to be simple, but I hope to learn from others as well. I plan to share the blog as well on my twitter feed daily, so follow @DanBoji if you want to get the alert to the blog's posting. You can also subscribe by e-mail or another RSS feed on the right side of the screen. God's blessings.

In Christ,
Dan

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Acts 13-14 - Receiving and Rejecting

So today I am playing catch-up from yesterday, so I am reading two chapters. Both chapters are descriptions of Paul and Barnabas in their early journeys. They went from city to city, explaining the Scriptures and pointing to Jesus as the Messiah. I am still amazed, but shouldn't really be, that everywhere they went they were met with a large number of people who were receptive to the gospel and believed in Jesus. Yet there were also a few who rejected the teaching. In each city there were those who received and those who rejected.

Acts 13 - Acts 14

1. What stuck out to you from this passage?

Things have not changed much in 2000 years. The gospel message is the same, the proofs of Jesus as Messiah are the same, and people are still receiving and rejecting Jesus. What stood out to me is that even though there were these two groups emerging in each city, the group that received Jesus as Messiah was not out to dispose the Jewish leadership. Paul and Barnabas were not teaching the people to hate the Jewish leaders or stone them or persecute them. In fact Paul and Barnabas were speaking this message of sin, grace, and salvation to them as well as everyone else. On the flip side, in every city, the group of Jewish leaders who rejected the gospel ALWAYS began to "plot", to "win the crowd over", to "mistreat them and stone them", to be motivated by "jealousy", to "stir up persecution against them." I really hope that this is the way it is today as well.

2. How does this relate to any other Scripture I know?

This is an interesting correlation, but as I read these two chapters I noticed this repeated act of preaching and teaching, followed by persecution and rejection. It reminded me of reading the book of Judges, where the people would turn away from God and worship other "gods", then God would allow the nations to rule over them and mistreat them, then the people would return to God and cry out, then God would rescue them, and they would repeat the whole cycle.

3. What does this mean for my life?

As we teach and preach the gospel, I pray that we are more like Paul and Barnabas (and Jesus) offering life and salvation, and receiving both acceptance and persecution. I pray, like the early apostles, that we would teach and preach the Bible with boldness in a way that is winsome and inviting to all people. I also pray that we would be willing to accept both the fruit of the gospel and the persecution that might come with it.

4. What questions do I have about this passage?

In Acts 13:48, there is an interesting concept of those who responded to the gospel favorably, and it states also that "all who were appointed for eternal life believed." I know there are some who strongly believe in predestination and others who believe in the freedom of all to reject or receive. This is one of the incongruences of Calvinism and Arminianism. But the more I read the Bible I tend to see both appearing all over the place. Each "side" can find verses to support their point of view and sound convincing, but I'm leaning more and more toward realizing that somehow both are true and a part of the mystery of how God works. Maybe that's a cop-out answer, but it's how I feel. (That was more of an observation/wondering than a direct question.)

Anyone is welcome to post any comment about the reading or about my response. I'd love to hear your thoughts.

In Christ,
Dan

2 comments:

  1. OK- so now I am all caught up from day 1. It took me 90 minutes by the way. I too can always see both sides in the Calvinism/ Amenianism debate- and I like your answer to that. I also can see both sides of the infant/ believers baptism debate. Both groups can site chapter and verse for their "sides". (Please don't let my Dad know that). But both sides of all these issues agree on THEE most important thing- that we must repent and believe in Jesus our Savior and are saved by His Grace through faith in the Gospel. These are the essentials by which I stand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. And I don't necessarily think "balance" is the right goal when thinking about these kinds of doctrinal issues. "Mystery" seems to me to the best way to think about these things that both seem true.

      Delete