Greeting

Welcome to Dan's Daily Dig, a personal journey to dig into the Bible one chapter a day and grow spiritually. The goal is to read and reflect on each chapter using the following four questions:

1. What stood out to me from this chapter?
2. How does this relate to any other Scripture I know?
3. What does this mean for my life?
4. What questions do I have about this passage?

This blog is intended to provide both accountability for me to keep pressing on in this quest, and an invitation for any reader to join me any day or everyday. Simply read the selected chapter (it only takes about 5 minutes), and then respond using any or all of the four questions. It's supposed to be simple, but I hope to learn from others as well. I plan to share the blog as well on my twitter feed daily, so follow @DanBoji if you want to get the alert to the blog's posting. You can also subscribe by e-mail or another RSS feed on the right side of the screen. God's blessings.

In Christ,
Dan

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Acts 5 - Worthy of suffering

This was a longer chapter, with several different stories and angles. God was very active in this chapter: judging the disobedient, setting apostles free from jail, teaching and healing through the apostles, etc. I'll share a few of my thought and then I'd love to hear some thoughts from others.


1. What stuck out to you from this chapter?

I think the response of the Jewish council is interesting. Gamaliel has some wise words, but when Christianity didn't "just go away" I wonder if any of them thought, "Hmmm, maybe this is of God, and maybe I should stop fighting it." They were upset that they were being pointed at as being guilty of killing Jesus, but really, Peter was still giving them a chance to repent. Yes, they were guilty of killing the Son of God, but they had a chance to repent like all the rest of the people (us included) and receive God's grace and forgiveness through Jesus. 

2. How does this relate to any other Scripture I know? 

Two connections formed from different parts of the chapter. The first story in the chapter is a troubling one, no doubt. When Ananias and Sapphira keep back a portion of the field they are killed, not by people, but by God. To me, it seems very harsh and "overkill". But there must be more that we don't really know about. But it reminded me of Malachi 3:8, "Will man rob God?" It's in the context of holding back from God what is rightfully his, in terms of tithes and offerings. 

The other connection is from Acts 5:31, where the disciples counted themselves worthy of suffering for the Name. In Philippians 3:10, Paul writes about the desire to know Christ, the power of the resurrection, and participation in suffering. The apostles (and later Paul) considered it joy to suffer in the same manner and for the sake of Jesus, who suffered greatly for each of them (and all of us).

3. What does this mean for my life?

Actually the verse that really spoke to me as a challenge for my own life was the last verse of the chapter, which says, "Day after day, in the temple courts and from house to house, they never stopped teaching and proclaiming the good news that Jesus is the Messiah." Similar to yesterdays desire for boldness in preaching, this verse challenged me to talk about Jesus when I'm at church, or camp, or at home, or at the doctor, or at someone else's house, etc. Not that I shouldn't use discretion and tact, but I hope that I am not ashamed when the opportunity arises to talk about Jesus.

4. What questions do I have about this chapter?

I really would like to know more about Ananias and Sapphira. I mean, it seems like they did a really good thing. They sold a field that they owned, and gave almost all of it to God. That's more than 10%. We can't blame the apostles (the church) for being greedy or manipulative because they neither pronounced the death sentence nor carried it out. It was all God. However there was something about they way that they "lied to the Holy Spirit," and to men, that God pronounced judgment. I just wish God would have given us more specific insight so I don't do the same thing. I'm like the disciples who always asked Jesus, "Explain the parable, cause I didn't get it." :)

Lots of great stuff in this chapter. Feel free to leave a thought or a comment. Maybe you just want to reply to one of the four questions, or maybe you want to respond to one of my comments. Either way, join in the reading and the conversation. God's blessings. Thanks for praying for me and supporting me in this journey.

In Christ,
Dan

1 comment:

  1. "it seems like they did a really good thing", never thought about it this way, Thanks!

    ReplyDelete